Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Welcome to my blog about Latin American politics


A warm welcome to students using my text, Comparative Politics of Latin America, Democracy at Last? (CPLA), and many thanks to professors who have chosen to use this book.  

Events move faster than authors and publishers can write and print.  Already, in the few months since CPLA appeared, Latin America has seen the election of a controversial new president, Ollanta Humala, in Peru, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez’s fight for life against cancer, and vote of a House Committee to deny all U.S. dues to the Organization of American States (OAS) – half of its total budget.  

So this blog will be an attempt to bring you up to date on important developments through links to news and analysis elsewhere, plus my own commentary and questions.  Sometimes I will offer opinion; sometimes I’ll ask you what you think.

I hope there will be more editions of CPLA, and if this blog is successful it will become increasingly a product not just of my but your views and suggestions.  Feel free to contact me directly, off the blog, with any comments and suggestions about how to make CPLA better.
DH

No comments:

Post a Comment